Saturday, April 26, 2008

Prom







Tonight is Timpview's Junior Prom. My SIL is a junior there and is going to prom with her boyfriend, Andy. Bailey couldn't find a dress that she wanted but she knew what she wanted it to look like so I said that I'd make if for her.

Now mind you, I've been making some quilts lately.... not clothes... I have made some of my own clothes but never a dress. Check that. I've tried making myself a dress but to no prevail - it looked like crap and didn't fit.... also, I'm not one for patterns... When I usually make my own clothes, I will lay out the clothes that I've bought in the store and cut out my own pattern from that. I figure I can post all of this because the dress is done and hopefully Bailey likes it. :o)

So, off to the store we went to pick out material. I had it all in my head how I was going to do it and figured that everything would work great. I decided to go and check out the patterns and see if I could get a little more help. Bailey decided on a pattern with little straps that I would have to change. Everything was cool until the material and everything was paid for, then I kinda started freaking out about what I just had offered to do. I only told Phill that I was freaking out about it. :o)

After a few more changes to what we thought it was going to look like and how it turned out, we have a finished dress that fits! Yeah me!!! I am quite proud of the dress and even though it is not exactly how I thought it was going to look I think I did a darn good job. Here are the pix. I'll post some of her wearing it tonight or tomorrow, but here it is on the hanger.




Front




Back





Front of bodice




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so I don't know you, but I was just at Timpview's Jr. Prom and I SAW YOUR DRESS! It was beautiful, and I took a picture of it, but it was way too dark! (I dont' know Bailey, but I was just taking pictures of the cute dresses and all..) Anyway, I'm emailing the photos of my daughter to friends and family that are out of state (and know nothing about the big tahdoo they throw for prom, so I googled timpview jr. prom, and up came your blog. I just thought it was so cool that I saw the dress you made, not knowing someone made it, then came home and found out on the internet. You should be very proud, your dress was awesome!
~Lisa

Unknown said...

Okay, this is so weird! I just came from Timpview's Jr. Prom .. I was taking pictures of my daughter, and I saw your dress!!! It was beautiful. I even took a picture of it, but it was too dark, most of my photos didn't turn out. Aaaannyway, when I got home, I immediately started sending the photos that did turn out to my friends and family out of state. I wanted to show them all the hoopdiedoo that goes on for prom. And when I googled Timpview Jr. Prom, your blog came up .. and I knew that dress!! Anyway, I just thought I would tell you what an amzaing job I think you did and how beautiful "Baily" (sister?)looked in the dress.
~lisa

EvaMarieva said...

I am glad it turned out so well!

Kim said...

good job les!!!

mnB said...

wow! bailey looks amazing!... so grown up!!! and the dress is so pretty on her!

Marie said...

wow that is a beautiful dress:) You did a great job! Someone made my dress for the army ball i went too. I great to have that talent. I wish i was so talented!!

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!...and B looks good too...hehe. You did a fab job on the dress, espically with all of the customizing you had to do to the pattern. B looks really great and the color looks good on her too!